Lee and I work with Chi Alpha Campus Ministries at the University of Louisiana Lafayette.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Embrace the Moment

I really don't enjoy 3 am feedings. It's so hard to get up...be up for 20 minutes or longer and then know that I'll be up again soon. I'm just not a morning person. I find myself thinking, "I can't wait until he sleeps through the night." Embrace the season. Soon, before I know it, he'll be walking, talking, and not wanting me to hold him close for any amount of time. I only have this short season once in his lifetime and mine.

We're in a drought in Lafayette - and everywhere else too. Everything is dry and thirsty. It's really dusty. Embrace the season. There have been multiple, beautiful days to play outside with my little girl. When the yard is soggy and gross, it's hard to take her out. I can do that when it's dry.

It's easy to look to the future when the current circumstances are not lining up like you'd like them to be. It's more fun at times to live in the past or the future and not the present. There's so much in the moment that we're living in. It's important to plan for the future and reflect on the past. It's where we're going and how we've been shaped into who we are. But we can miss so much if we don't appreciate where we are at now. God wants to teach me something now just as much as He did in the past and will in the future.

Now, when I'm up at 3 am, cuddling a little boy who is going to change the world, I will embrace the moment. This moment is going to lead to another moment, and those moments with him are going to transform him into the man of God he is called to be. This is a powerful moment now.

Next time you find yourself doing something that may not be enjoyable, but you know you have to do it...embrace the moment. The next time circumstances are not making sense, there seems to be stress and chaos...stop, and embrace the moment. The adventure is a good thing.

1 comment: