Lee and I work with Chi Alpha Campus Ministries at the University of Louisiana Lafayette.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Serving vs. Selfishness

Last week was a very busy week for us!! I know that it's the beginning of the busiest time of the year...I guess it just caught me off guard. I knew Lee would be busy, but I wasn't expecting to be busy myself. It's nice to feel needed, and it's nice to be able to use the giftings that God has given me. I like organizing food and meals, and I was able to do that when all the pastors from the Lafayette area came to our cafe last week for a meeting. That's just fun for me. (I would have went shopping for it this year, but it would have been a little much for my 9 month preggo body.) It is one of the things that I get to do throughout the year for Chi Alpha International.

Pastor Jeff talked about it at church today...serving. He said the best way to stay in Christ is to serve. The way to keep our eyes on Christ is to keep them off of ourselves. Lee and I talk about how we didn't realize how selfish we were until we had Bella. We were able to do what we wanted when we wanted, and now that has changed and will continue to change for the rest of our lives. Selfishness has such a huge impact on me. If I let it, it can determine how I feel and how I think. It affects my motives...which sometimes makes me do things I don't want to do.
Serving definitely helps me focus on others instead of myself. Philippians 2:5 says, "Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus..." Jesus became a servant. So should I. When I am in the moment of serving Jesus and others by using the abilities and giftings God has given me, I will find peace and joy. There is strength in that moment that cannot be described...well part of it can - it's a great adrenaline rush!!

My role in Chi Alpha is changing due to the little ones in our home...but I can still serve. It may look different than the way that Lee is getting to serve UL, but we are both working together to accomplish what God has asked us to do. I know that I won't be able to be at Cafe Chi Alpha as much as I have this past week, but I'm looking forward to using my giftings and abilities there whenever I get the chance!

1 comment:

  1. Wait ... you have a blog? Love it. I've been blogging for a few years and think it's a great way to preserve a legacy for your family.

    Loved the message about serving too. It was such truth. And, you have entered such an awesome season in your life. I was just reading something about the different seasons we go through in life and not to despise the season we're in, but to embrace it and get everything out of it that God has planned for us. God definitely has such a calling on your life, which is not limited to Chi Alpha, but to your precious growing family. Can't wait to see what God's gonna do. (I could always use help with women's ministry. (wink))

    ReplyDelete