Lee and I work with Chi Alpha Campus Ministries at the University of Louisiana Lafayette.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Challenge of Prayer

I've definitely been challenged in the area of prayer lately. I know the importance of prayer. I believe in the importance of prayer. I just don't practice the action of prayer like I should. Martin Luther said that he had too much to do during the day so he could not devote less than 3 hours a day in prayer! I have trouble devoting 3 minutes to prayer!! My lack of prayer leads me to doing things in my own strength and not through God's strength, or grace, or mercy even. I find myself trying to do things the way that I think they should be done without even consulting the Lord. I'm too busy planning! This isn't how it should be.
Each person has to come to terms with what they believe about prayer. It's a personal conviction. For me, I believe that prayer is about lining my heart up with what God's heart is. I believe that things change because of prayer, but most importantly, I change because of prayer. Prayer changes my motives from selfish ones to broken ones...something that would please God instead of disgust Him.
I have found that my heart has changed in the past 9 months I've been pregnant. It wasn't a quick, overnight change, but it has changed. I was not thrilled about having another baby, especially at the busiest time of our whole year. I was thinking about all that I was going to get to do for the ministry and the students of UL, and suddenly, it all changed. My heart is now excited about having another baby who will be exposed to the greatness of loving God and loving people. I'm excited about being a wife and a mom...and having the opportunity to stay at home to do this. My view of ministry is changing again, and I know it will look different each season that I go through. Prayer is helping me get a better idea of what God wants this season of my life to look like.
Prayer is a very behind-the-scenes kind of thing. No one knows how many prayers are being made for our students, our ministry, our family. Now, I'm getting the opportunity to participate in this important role. The beginning of the fall semester is the most crucial time of the whole school year. A lot will be determined in the next 10 days...yes, I will be at home with a little girl, and possibly a newborn. Lee will be gone a lot. BUT, I can do my part by praying for him and everyone else who will be involved in this crunch time. That's why we are in ministry together, and my role, even though it looks different is just as important as his.

No comments:

Post a Comment